Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Responsibility


When I started this blog my intention wasn't to keep people informed about things going on with our family. My wife does this on her blog and does a fantastic job. I also didn't plan on using it as a soap box to shove my beliefs and convictions down the throats of those reading it. What I wanted was an outlet for expressing the things that motive me, excite me, anger me, move me, please me, or frustrate me.

As a parent I am constantly second guessing myself. Was I too harsh? An I spending enough time with them? Should I have let them go with so-and-so? Am I pushing them too hard? Do I do enough? How much is too much? Will I ever feel good about the decisions I make regarding my children? I mean, they are my children after all. I want everything I do for them to be the right thing. I want every decision to be the right decision. I will not make any parenting mistakes...yeah, right!

I know that I will make mistakes, but I will relentlessly work to keep those mistakes to an absolute minimum. It's much too important for my children and myself. It amazes me how lightly some people take their role as a parent. What are some people thinking when they have kids?

I know some people don't plan their parenthood. However, this doesn't excuse them from the responsibility of it. Others plan to become a parent for all the wrong reasons. It amazes me how many unmarried teenage girls will have intentional pregnancies. Whether the purpose is to hold on to a boyfriend or maybe just a way to get some attention. Don't they realize the disadvantages that this child is going to experience. Sometimes they seem so proud of themselves and they fail to understand that the pride should come in how they raise the child, not the simple fact that they got pregnant and gave birth. They will tote the baby around flaunting their "accomplishment" then the new wears off and they are left with a child that they don't really want and won't properly nurture.

Maybe in my occupation I have too much of an insider's view of this and so many other issues in our society. Maybe I have become too cynical about the circumstances that today's youth must face. I just know that there are too many kids out there raising themselves, fending for themselves, and dependening on themselves with no one to encourage them, no one to comfort them, no one to admonish them, and no one to love them. And it breaks my heart everyday.

Let me know your thoughts on this subject.

3 comments:

Stephanie Harbin said...

A lot of people aren't thinking when they have kids. I have an insider's point of view also, and it also angers me when I see how little some parents care. I purposely chose to parent, and it is scary making all those decisions. You are a great dad! Keep up the good work!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

And then there are those of us who see those young mothers and/or fathers trying to raise children, but choosing to spend time partying with their friends and livin' it up, or the parents who beat or neglect their children and just wish for one second they knew how blessed and lucky they were. If they did, they wouldn't be so irresponsible. It burns me up so much sometimes, I want to say, "hey, if you don't want them, give them to me!"

Will said...

I think you are doing a great job with your fam. your kids are always well-behaved and seem very happy. I too wonder about kids and parents these days...I just keep on trying to do right.